You must protect your identity because a criminal can piece together enough information about you to change your address, apply for loans or credit cards, and open accounts in your name.
- Shred documents with your personal information.
- Use caution when posting any personal information online.
- Do not give account or card number information to anyone – in person, over the phone, or online – unless you know who you are dealing with.
- Do not carry your Social Insurance Number card in your wallet unless it is necessary.
- If your wallet or purse is lost or stolen, contact DUCA immediately at 1-866-900-3822 to block your accounts and cards from use.
- At least once each year, check the accuracy of your credit report. Contact Equifax or Transunion.
- Protect your Personal Identification Number (PIN) by blocking the view as you enter your PIN. Stay alert when you are using a bank machine by yourself.
If you think you are a victim of identity fraud, contact DUCA immediately at 1-866-900-3822. We also recommend you call Canada’s Anti-Fraud Centre. (Phone: 1-888-495-8501 / Fax: 1-888-654-9426)