Applying for CERB? Sign up for direct deposit right from your online account.
It's now much easier to sign up for the Canada Revenue Agency's (CRA's) Direct Deposit which is good news for everyone but especially for those planning to apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB).
At a time when the CRA is experiencing an unprecedented need to make payments to Canadians, Direct Deposit means CERB payments -- an aid to individuals affected financially by COVID-19 -- will be in Canadians' accounts that much faster through direct deposit.
In addition, other CRA payments such as income tax refunds, GST/HST credits, workers benefits, and child benefits will be deposited directly into your account, too.
Bypass the mail: Sign up for CRA Direct Deposit through your online account
When you login to your online DUCA account, your identity and credentials are verified and secured through online security procedures. As of now, while you're securely logged in, you will see a new option under "Account Services" which is to enroll in CRA's Direct Deposit program. The process is quick and, going forward, your government payments will be deposited directly into your DUCA account of choice.
Here is how to sign up:
- Login to your online account at duca.com
- Click on Account Services in the left hand column
- Click on Set up CRA Direct Deposit
- Follow the instructions to input your Social Insurance Number and select your account for Direct Deposit
It's that simple! The CRA aims to process direct deposit enrollments in one or two business days.
- If you plan to apply for the CERB Benefit or if you already receive other CRA payments, you are not required to enroll for Direct Deposit. However, as a result of the launch of the CERB program, physical cheques will take longer to process whereas Direct Deposit is a much swifter arrangement.
- If you have never filed a tax return, you may not be able to sign up for CRA Direct Deposit through DUCA but will have to visit the CRA "My Account" website here.